What is Scalability Testing in Performance Testing?
With the changes in requirement and growing need, the system must adapt and work accordingly. Scalability testing ensures that the system meets the growing need when there is any change in terms of size and volume, making the system, process, or network to function well. In simple words, scalability testing checks the capability of the system, process, and databases to match the increasing need and ensure that the application is able to handle to change in terms of traffic, data, and transactions.
Scalability testing is a kind of performance testing, where the focus remains on application’s behaviour while testing it under excessive load. The main aim of performing scalability testing is to identify the point where the application stops adapting or responding to the changes and the reasons behind it. Some of the reasons for performing scalability testing are mentioned below.
- It tells you about your application’s behaviour with the increasing load
- Determines the end user experience under load
- Determines the robustness of the server
Scalability Testing Attributes
You can test the following attributes through scalability testing.
- Performance under load
- Request and response of web server
- Memory and CPU usage
- Network usage
- Performance measurement on the basis of number of users
- Request, Transaction, and Execution time
- Screen transition
- Response time
Scalability Testing: Test Strategy
Test strategy can differ on the basis of the type of application being tested. For example, if a database is associated with an application, then the parameters for testing will be the database and the number of users.
- Pre-requisite: Following are the pre-requisites for scalability testing.
- Load distribution: Load testing tool must generate the load from multiple machines and manage from a single point.
- Operating System: Identify which OS acts as an agent for load generation and runner of the load test master.
- Processor: Identify the type of CPU required for the agent and load test master.
- Memory: Identify how much memory is required for the agent and load test master.
- Scalability Testing Process: Following steps defines a general process of performing scalability testing.
- Define a process that can repeatedly execute scalability test throughout its life cycle.
- Select the scalability criteria.
- Select the tools to run load tests.
- Configure the hardware and testing requirement for scalability testing.
- Plan the test scenarios.
- Create and verify visual script and load test scenarios.
- Execute and evaluate the test.
- Generate the required reports.
- Scalability Test Plan: You must develop a detailed test plan before creating the tests. This ensures that the test is according to the application requirement. You can create a well-defined test plan using the following attributes.
- Scripts: Scripts include detailed step to determine exact action for the user to perform.
- Run-Time Data: You must identify run-time data to interact with the application.
- Data Driven Tests: If varying data is required at the run-time, you must understand the fields requiring this data.
Scalability Testing Vs Load Testing
Scalability testing focuses on performance of the application at different stages with varying loads. Load testing on the other hand, focuses on testing under heavy loads and determining the point at which it fails.
360logica makes use of open source and commercial tools to execute performance testing. At an cost-effective price. We give priority to the client’s requirements and select tools following industry standards based on that. Our performance testing services are also provided through client server and web applications. This allows us to perform load and stress testing on Windows, Linux, and other platforms.
- We ensure a seamless business process through our load testing and remote SOAK testing infrastructure.
- We provide better marketability of client products through cost, time, and technology.
- We give special importance to end user experience and product endurance through our realistic load testing process.
- 360logical promotes agile product development through its effective testing methodology. This helps in gaining customer’s trust and allows them to save on performance fine tuning costs.