Testing process improvement is not only the responsibility of test team. It is a joint effort of Development & Testing team and Management to understand the existing testing process and identify the necessary measures to improve it. As nothing is good lasts forever. We have entered another economic downturn, and no one seems to know how long it will last. For the foreseeable future, management will exhort testers and test teams to do more with less.
Here are three common goals for test teams:
- Find bugs
- Reduce risk
- Build confidence
Points to be remember for Testing Improvements:
- Try to understand the logic and work according to that logic.
- Understand the internal workings of code from developer’s point of view.
- Analyze test results thoroughly. Try to identify root cause from functional perspective.
- Break the application into smaller functional modules.
- First write test cases for valid conditions, then cover invalid conditions.
- As soon as complete the test case writing, share test case with development team. It could result in time saving.
- During test case writing phase, group test cases using impact analysis. It will help in effective regression testing in less time.
- Try to have a look on old bug reports of modules / project where development worked previously. Generally developers, repeat similar mistakes.
- Test the application for both implicit as well as explicit requirements.
- Never communicate bugs verbally. For any critical / show stopper bugs, have an immediate discussion & then document via mail and share it to relevant stack holders.
By following the steps mention for improvement, it is confirmed that needs, expectations and mission of the test team will be fulfilled. It must be consider the solutions that provide traceability between requirements, development, and testing processes to help facilitate requirements-based testing.