Automated Cross-Platform Testing
What is cross-platform automated testing?
Basically, its a software that allows you to test how other software is functioning. Cross-platform testing ensures the quality of the end product under different operating system types, versions and locales, and confirms seamless application functioning. Even different versions of service packs for Microsoft products can dramatically change end-product behavior. Other operating systems also have a variety of versions that should be checked for end-product support. These contingencies make cross-platform testing of the utmost importance.
Once the series of tests for a particular project is in place, these can be re-used to test the software each time any changes or tweaks are made to the code. This is a much more efficient alternative to having to repeatedly check everything manually; there’s less room for error, and it allows you to get feedback on the current functional state of an application in a matter of minutes.
Why Automated Cross-Platform Testing?
Whether you’re testing a large-scale web app across various different desktop and mobile browsers, or native iOS and Android apps on lots of different devices, a full suite of automated tests will quickly flag any back-end issues or bugs so that they can be fixed ASAP.
Applying a single script against multiple platforms and devices ensures scripts do not have to be recreated – which ensures consistency and accuracy of the test script. This translates to a high level of product quality, since the chance for errors are reduced (fewer scripts).
Benefits of automated testing:
- 70% faster than the manual testing
- Wider test coverage of application features
- Reliable in results
- Ensure Consistency
- Saves Time and Cost
- Improves accuracy
- Human Intervention is not required while execution
- Increases Efficiency
- Better speed in executing tests
- Re-usable test scripts
- Test Frequently and thoroughly
- More cycle of execution can be achieved through automation
- Early time to market
Automation Best Practices – To get maximum ROI of automation, observe the following:
- Scope of Automation needs to be determined in detail before the start of the project. This sets expectations from Automation right.
- Select the right automation tool: A tool must not be selected based on its popularity but its fit to the automation requirements.
- Choose appropriate framework
- Scripting Standards- Standards have to be followed while writing the scripts for Automation. Some of them are-
- Create uniform scripts, comments and indentation of the code
- Adequate Exception handling – How error is handled on system failure or unexpected behavior of the application.
- User defined messages should be coded or standardized for Error Logging for testers to understand.
- Measure metrics: Success of automation cannot be determined by comparing the manual effort with the automation effort but by also capturing the following metrics.
- Percent of defects found
- Time required for automation testing for each and every release cycle
- Minimal Time taken for release
- Customer satisfaction Index
- Productivity improvement
- The above guidelines if observed can greatly help in making your automation successful.
Automated testing is important due to following reasons:
- Manual Testing of all work flows, all fields , all negative scenarios is time and cost consuming
- It is difficult to test for multilingual sites manually
- Automation does not require human intervention. You can run automated test unattended (overnight)
- Automation increases speed of test execution
- Automation helps increase Test Coverage
- Manual Testing can become boring and hence error prone.