The Best Way to Record, Capture, and Extract Logs of Android and iOS Based Devices
We often face some or the other issue while recording video, capturing screen, and extracting Android logs while working with Android based applications. Though there are many techniques to overcome such a situation; however, the best way is to use ‘Dalvik Debug Monitor’ tool, which resides in the SDK directory of Android.
How to record/capture the Android phone screen and extract Android device logs on a PC in a hassle free way?
Steps in detail
- Setup Java on your Machine according to the 32 /64 bit machine architecture.
- Setup Android SDK on windows machine.
- Enable USB Debugging from Settings->Developer Option->Debugging.
- Enable Stay Awake from Settings->Developer Option.
- Move to the Android SDK directory on Machine like E:\SDK_NDKFOLDER\Android-sdk.
- Open bat file on double click from E:\SDK_NDKFOLDER\Android-sdk\tools.
- ‘Dalvik Debug Monitor’ window will open.
- Capture Screen: Select Device in Left panel (Device ->Screen Capture).
- The screen will get captured and you can save with Ctrl + S or Save button.
- Record Screen: We can record Android device screen from Device-> Screen Record.
- Recorded screen will save on the default document location or where you set the path.
- Recorded video output format will be .mp4.
- Capture adb logcat/Android device logs from Device ->Run logcat.
- Save Logs from right click on Logs->Select All->Copy and paste in a notepad file or gist file.
Note: You can follow the given screencast to implement all above 14 steps: http://www.screencast.com/t/PAp4nauMV8
Similarly, you can also record/capture an iPhone screen on a PC using ‘Quick Time Player’ application for iOS, which is already inbuilt with MAC OS.
How to seamlessly record/capture an iPhone Screen on a PC?
Prerequisites to record iPhone screen on Mac.
- First, you must have a Mac running OS X Yosemite or later.
- An iOS device running iOS 8 or later.
- Lightning Cable (the cable that comes with iOS devices).
Steps to record iPhone screen on Mac
- Connect your iPhone using a cable.
- Open ‘QuickTime Player’ from Applications.
- Click the Filemenu and choose “New Movie Recording“.
- Click the arrow on the right of the record button and you will see your phone as a choice.
- Now you can record Mac screen using Jing/TechSmith/Screencast as earlier.
- You can start activity on iPhone Screen. You can see the activity displayed on the Mac screen.
- You can save the recorded screen by first clicking on the Start Recording button, then stop the recording by clicking on the Stop Recording button. Finally, you can export/save the recorded video in multiple sizes (480Px, 720Px, 1020Px, etc.) from File ->Export to option.
Note: You can follow the given screencast to implement all above 7 steps: http://www.screencast.com/t/csMMtGvhwRMG