Bug Life Cycle – Quality Testing
Bug life cycles are similar to software development life cycles. Bug life cycle begins when a programmer, software developer, or architect makes a mistake, creates an unintentional software defect, i.e. bug, and ends when the bug is fixed, and the bug is no longer in existence.
The bug life cycle can be summarized as follows:
- A Tester finds a bug. Status –> Open
- Test lead review the bug and authoriza the bug. Stats –> Open
- Development team lead review the defect. Stats –> Open
- The defect can be authorized or unauthorized by the development team. (Here the status of the defect / bug will be Open (For Authorized Defects) and Reject (For Unauthorized Defects).
- Now, the authorized bugs will get fixed or deferred by the development team. Status of the fixed bugs will be Fixed and Status will be Deferred for the bugs which got Deferred.
- The Fixed bugs will be again re-tested by the testing team. Here based on the Closure of the Bug, the status will be made as Closed or if the bug still remains, it will be re-raised and status will be Re-opened.