How to Perform BI Testing in 4 Easy Steps?
Business Intelligence is used to make business strategy and decisions through gathering, analyzing, and transforming raw data into meaningful information. Business Intelligence or BI testing helps companies get better and detailed insight on data that helps the company to make better decisions. However, over the time the way these testings’ are performed has changed. Anyways this has been good for both businesses and users as businesses know what is working and what is not and the users get a better experience with the software.
Business Intelligence itself is a collection of technologies, applications, and components that make the entire implementation. It can’t be achieved through any particular tool or system. There is a sequence of flow of events, including the following:
- User transactional data
- Data or record formats
- Data warehouse
- Data Mart
So, while testing Business Intelligence you must test the entire flow, right from the time when you get the data from the source until the end.
BI Testing Sequence
- Testing the Source Data
There are various sources and data formats for the business data. So, there must be a validation to check the source data matches the data that is being sent. This is basically the extract stage of the ETL.
- Testing Data Transformation
Here the raw data gets transformed into business targeted information.
- Source and destination data format should be same
- Primary key, Foreign key, and default values must be intact
- ACID properties must be validated
- Test Data Loading
Must test the permanent location of the data whether it is data mart or data warehouse. ETL testing should also include the actual script that loads the data. You must also validate the data storage system for the following:
- Performance: As the system becomes more intricate, its complexity increases. So, the system must be checked for its performance.
- Scalability: With the growing business and data volumes, you must ensure that increasing data is handled by the current system in place.
- Testing BI Report
While testing Business Intelligence reports you must look for:
- The report applicability to business
- Customization, Sorting, Grouping, etc. in reports
- The readability of reports
- Integration of BI elements
With the growing complexity in the IT industry, QA holds the key in assisting business in making perspective and intelligent decisions. The quality of a BI solution is dependent upon the quality of the provided data and the value of findings it delivers. An effective testing can help in ensure data credibility through a comprehensive test strategy that includes test planning, infrastructure and QA teams, developers and business users.
360logica BI and Analytics Testing Approach
We consider the following features of DW/BI testing while creating tests:
- Business logic
- Complicated architectures
- Data complexity and volume
- Data sources and selection of data
- Inconsistent DW data
- Changes in the source database
- Changes in business needs
With the expertise in testing BI applications, we are adept and prompt in gathering information from the very beginning to avoid any errors.
Advantage 360logica BI and Analytics Testing
- In-depth technology and BI/DW knowledge
- Fair understanding of the principles related to database
- Expertise in testing complex data architectures
- Perform non-visual testing or that those are not easily tangible