MetaAutomation: A New Pattern to Accelerate Test Automation
MetaAutomation caters the need to boost the value of automation results and minimizes the automation failures. In addition, it ensures quality measurements and improvements along with the reduction in automation fixing cost.
MetaAutomation provides a conceptual way of creating strong communications value of a software team. There are various factors that hinder the way for MetaAutomation.
- Conventionally automated testing and manual testing are considered the same, as both of them ensure the software’s quality.
- There are various automated tests originally designed as manual tests and are supported by many vendors and open-source projects.
- The general approaches to software quality are often discouraged by Context-Driven school.
- There are many tools and techniques supporting Keyword-driven testing. However, it requires runtime interpretation of a keyword or phrase to run.
All of the above-mentioned points are risky and closes the door for MetaAutomation. Automated verification is relatively more powerful than other patterns and practices, and helps in opening the door for MetaAutomation.
The pattern that is least dependent of MetaAutomation is Automatic check. It specifies and bound the following things together.
- It must measure the business requirement in the shortest and simplest possible way.
- Every check is independent of others and can run in any order.
- Each check produces an artifact with the following properties.
- The detailed result comprises pure data
- It documents each step of the check
- Check step follows a hierarchy for better analysis
- The check including each step can hold additional information
- Each step element also tells the time taken to complete each step in milliseconds
The third point is the most fundamental, as the artifacts are more precise and accurate. This radically different behavior allows doing more powerful things with little details. For example, you can analyze product behavior in the entire software development life cycle.
If combined with the first two points, it can help in delivering quality value to the entire team. This is possible by enabling the related pattern of MetaAutomation to work.
You might also like: Automating User Journey – An Important Activity While Developing a System