SoapUI – The world’s most complete testing tool!
SmartBear announced the general availability of SoapUI 5.0 on Apr 9, 2014. SoapUI was specifically designed to tame the growing number of undocumented REST APIs on the market today. It is a free and open source cross-platform Functional Testing solution. With an easy-to-use graphical interface, and enterprise-class features, SoapUI allows you to easily and rapidly create and execute automated functional, regression, compliance and load tests. In a single test environment, SoapUI provides complete test coverage and supports all the standard protocols and technologies. There are simply no limits to what you can do with your tests.
What can SoapUi do?
- Automated testing solution including: data driven tests, load tests, scenario based tests
- MockService feature gives the unique ability to mimic Web services and create/run Functional and Load tests against then even before they are implemented
- Built-in-reporting capabilities
SoapUI Test Structure
SoapUI structures functional into three levels: TestSuites, TestCases and TestSteps.
- A TestSuite is a collection of TestCases that can be used for grouping functional tests into logical units. Any number of TestSuites can be created inside a SoapUI project to support massive testing scenarios.
- A TestCase is a collection of TestSteps that are assembled to test some specific aspect of your services. You can add a number of TestCases to a containing TestSuite and even modularize them to call each other for complex testing scenarios.
- TestSteps are the ‘building blocks’ of functional tests in SoapUI. They are added to a TestCase and used to control the flow of execution and validate the functionality of the services to be tested.
What’s new in SoapUI 5.0?
- SoapUI 5.0 is largely focused on helping you get undocumented REST APIs under test quickly and easily. This is achieved by using new and powerful REST
- Discovery feature, which allows you to easily record your interactions with the API to have SoapUI automatically create all the resources associated with it.
- Apart from REST Discovery, SoapUI has a bunch of other major REST-testing improving features in 5.0 as well.
Check below the breakdown of the new SoapUI 5.0
REST Discovery – The REST Discovery feature allows you to capture REST traffic by simply using the service through a browser or client. You can quickly get your undocumented API under test by recording your interactions with the API and automatically create test suites for an API from your interactions with it.
REST Test Suite Builder – The REST Discovery feature allows you to capture REST traffic by simply using the service through a browser or client. You can automatically create test suites for an API from your interactions with it.
REST Mocking – The REST Service Mocking feature lets you create a simulation of a REST services, a MockService. The REST mocks can then be run either from inside SoapUI or from the command line with the runner mockservicerunner.bat/sh. Easily creates REST Mocks without the need for scripting. Being able to test unavailable APIs (due to not developed or no staging/testing environment existing).
REST Discovery + REST Mocking – REST Mocks based on REST Discovery gives full mocking. Now you can seamlessly create REST Mocks using responses from REST Discovery recordings.
OAuth 2 Support – SoapUI supports OAuth 2. Now you are able to test modern APIs. In order to use OAuth 2 authorization for a REST request you need to
- Open the Authorization tab
- Add authorization
- Create an OAuth 2 profile
- Get an access token
- Optional: set advanced options for the authorization.
OAuth 2 Profiles – Use Profiles to set different OAuth credentials for different REST Requests without having to enter them more than once.
OAuth 2 Flow Automation – Automate browser login interactions to enable testing in Continuous Integration. This is great for organizations working with Continuous Integration (CI) to more easily automate tests for APIs which require OAuth 2.
Matti Hjelm, SmartBear’s SoapUI Product Owner said, “We are showing REST developers and testers that they can use SoapUI to do serious REST Testing, and we are showing our continued commitment to the REST API Testing market. … [Success will be gauged on] adoption percentage among current user base and amount of new users—specifically, those based around REST APIs.”
The best thing about SoapUI is that it’s a free and open source application, meaning anyone can have free access to the full source code. It also means you can modify or customize it any way you like.