The Importance of Agile Automation Testing
Software development has transformed over time from waterfall method to Agile. With the advancement in technology, it is very much required to be up to date with the latest technology and innovations in the field of software development. Agile methodology involves software development to be carried out throughout the Software Development Life Cycle. This allows the detection of bugs earlier in the cycle, which results in immediate bug fixes. While testing early in the software development life cycle, there are certain tests that need to be repeated. Such cases, if handled manually, can take a lot of time and effort. Here, test automation is the key that can overcome various challenges and complexities, and result in better quality product in less time.
Why Agile Automation Testing?
Agile methodology focuses on building a high quality product, reducing the risk associated with development. Since, agile methodology involves frequent changes, it is important to have a test automation process for the same. Moreover, one can consider using Continuous Integration (CI) as well to avoid and repetitive task.
Agile development methodology is based on integration and regular analysis of the product that is being developed.
There are various challenges associated with agile QA professionals. These challenges can be overcome using test automation techniques. Some of the challenges are mentioned below.
- Incomplete test coverage: Any future code changes that were not considered before can lead to inadequate code changes. However, regression testing can ensure the functionality of existing releases.
- Broken codes due to frequent build: Since the code is changed frequently, it is more likely to get broken due to this. A proper automated technique with CI could tackle this situation.
- Inadequate API testing: Due to the complexity in implementing complex APIS, API testing they are sometimes overlooked. Automation tools can overcome the need to have strong code skills while testing such APIs.
- Performance bottlenecks: With more functionality and enhanced experience, a software application gets more complex and involves a high volume of code and results in performance related issues. Load testing tools can be handy in identifying performance bottlenecks and can track performance over time.
- Complex mobile testing: With the number of mobile devices increasing in the market day by day, mobile testing is becoming more complex. A strong automation suite can ensure that the code doesn’t break with each build.
Since, there are various automation tools, an automation tool must be decided based on the project requirement. Some of the automated validation includes functional automation, API testing automation, mobile automation, and more.
Advantage of Agile Test Automation in Agile Development
Automation in software development provides speed, reliability, programmability, reusability, and more. Same is the case in Agile as well. However, in agile the importance of automation is much more than in software development. Some of the advantages are discussed below.
- Faster turnaround: Agile automation can help in quick turnaround for QA by implementing continuous integration in agile.
- Repeat execution: The daily build execution can be certified using right automation tool and approach.
- Ensured Quality: A perfect test automation suite can ensure a quality product at any given time. However, the selected test case must cover the application properly.
- Team’s Quality: Because of the requirement of automation at every step, the team is responsible for the quality collectively.
Agile Quality Assurance in Different Phases
An Agile development process involves automation in its each phase, as discussed below.
- Unit Test Automation: Usually developers complete the unit testing. However, the emphasis must be on automation testing at the code unit level.
- Pre-Automation Testing: In test driven development or in eXtreme programming (XP) there must be a practice of creating automated unit tests before the code is ready or written.
- System and Integration Testing: Considering a daily build, an integrated environment can be used to test the features as they are developed using the concept of continuous integration. Here, automation can help in reducing the number of iterations. This process ensures that the emphasis remains on testing new features.
- Sprint Complete: Once each sprint ends, i.e. when all the iterations have been completed, a short regression test before the release can ensure everything is fine. In fact, regression testing must be automated with features tested continuously.
360logica understands the importance of test automation and how they can help in accelerating regression test efforts in a cost-effective manner. The test automation framework used at 360logica is an unmatched solution for validating complex business process. At 360logica, a keyword driven approach is used to help non-technical users to validate business process. As a result of its continuous focus towards test automation, 360logica have been able to deliver improvement in quality and reduction in test maintenance efforts in various test automation projects for its number of clients.