The Need for Software Compatibility Testing
Compatibility testing is performed on applications to check its compatibility on various platforms, hardware, and network environments. It comes under the category of no-functional testing where testing is performed on hardware, operating systems, software, network, browser, devices, mobile, and versions.
- Hardware: Here, different hardware configurations are used to check the software’s compatibility.
- Operating System: Software is checked for compatibility with Windows, iOS, UNIX, and other OS.
- Software: The application that is developed must be compatible with other software, i.e. there should not be any conflicts.
- Network: Software is checked against various parameters like bandwidth, capacity, etc. on different networks to evaluate the application performance.
- Browser: Here, the application compatibility is checked against various browsers like Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, etc.
- Devices: Devices like printer, scanner, Bluetooth, etc. are checked for compatibility with the software.
- Mobile: Like OS platforms, application compatibility is checked with platforms like Android, iOS, etc.
- Versions: An application or software comes in various versions. It’s basically verifying the application with various versions of the platform it is expected to run on. Version checking can be further categorized into forward and backward compatibility testing.
Verifying the application behavior with the newer version of software/hardware is termed as forward compatibility testing and verifying the behavior of the application with older versions is called backward compatibility testing.
Compatibility Testing Tools
- Browser Compatibility Testing: Browser Stack
- Hardware Compatibility tool: Secure Platform
- Operating System Compatibility: Virtual Desktops
Compatibility Testing Process
- The first step is to define the platforms and environments on which the application will work.
- To understand the expected behavior of the application under different configurations.
- Setting the test environment with different platforms, devices, and network configurations.
- Report the bug and re-test once it gets fixed.
With the latest developments and changing requirements, 360logica provides comprehensive mobile web application testing tools at a reasonable cost. To cope up with the emerging challenges of complex mobile devices, we provide extensive training and monitoring of the latest trends and development in testing. This enhances the technical proficiency and caters the need to test various Smartphone versions, including iOS, Blackberry, Windows, and Android mobile application testing. With the expert testers onboard, we continue to excel in mobile application security testing, creating automated tools, and incorporating new hardware and software with the existing testing environment.