Understanding the benefits and techniques of web application testing
No one is immune to security risks in the world of internet. In today’s stiff competition, cutting-edge business solutions and web applications are developed on a daily basis with minimum attention to security concerns. As a result, there is an increase in the number of corporate websites which are vulnerable to hacking.
Unfortunately, the consequences of a security breach are disturbing. There is damage to brand reputation, revenue loss along with loss of customer loyalty.
Therefore, it is essential to focus on the web application security testing to ensure the application is free from security threats. It is because, if the application is not well tested and carefully validated against security threats since inception, it may fail to safeguard corporate data from malicious attacks and thus, will fail to work in a right way.
Let’s ponder over the advantages of web application security testing:
To build a highly secure web application, it is essential to pave focus upon a security development cycle. Security is an imperative factor that should be thoroughly considered throughout the development cycle of an application, especially when the key motive of designing is to deal with confidential business data.
Through application security testing, it is feasible to ensure that the information system is robust enough to secure data and maintain its functionality.
The process includes analysing the web application for flaws and vulnerabilities right from the beginning and fixes them before application launch.
Here are some important web application testing concepts that should be considered during application development:
- Confidentiality: It is important to ensure that only authorized users access important data
- Authentication: It is done to ensure user identity.
- Authorisation: In order to authorise the person to use the application, he/she needs to be given a password or OTP.
During web application security testing, communication and other information collateral should be readily available, as needed. Those people who are involved in application security testing should think like a potential hacker to detect security loopholes. It is necessary to have a complete understanding of specifications implemented in the application along with all the possible scenarios under which data breaching can happen. Though, it is a daunting task; it ensures that the final product is well secured against potential threats.
Let’s look at some protection measures:
As precaution is better than cure, here are some easy to adopt security tools which can be followed by developers:
- Headers: Applying headers in web server configurations is useful if you want to bolster the defense mechanism of new applications.
- Password Protection Mechanism: There should be no restriction imposed on the length of the password. Further the password should be stored in the encrypted form; mainly in the hashed format. Make sure that you inform the users about the definite number of login attempts in advance.
- Secured Session ID: Protecting session transit by using SSL is one of the best ways. The session ID should never be mentioned in the URL. Also, it should be long enough that makes it tough to guess. In any case, never use the session ID suggested by the user.
In any case, web application testing should be given due weightage by a company and no other aspect should be ignored. With every organisation focusing on offering top-notch software development services, we should also focus on protecting these services against hacking attempts. Over the years, there has been an upsurge in data breach. Companies need to implement the best web application testing mechanisms to create and secure their applications. A well-protected application is essential to build the trust of customers.
Image Credit : Testing Whiz