What are Different Regression Testing Tools and Techniques?
Regression testing ensures that any change in the source code or program doesn’t affect the existing features of the software application. It is basically selecting test cases that are fully or partially executed before. So, basically this ensures with every new change or introduction of new codes, the old code still works.
When is Regression Testing Required?
Regression testing is required in the following scenarios.
- When the code is modified according to the change of need in the requirement
- When a new functionality is added
- While fixing defects
- While fixing performance issues
Challenges Associated with Website Regression Testing
Following are challenges that are faced by testers while performing regression testing in Java and other similar technologies that are used to create a website.
- Test suites become large with continuous regression runs. This can’t be executed due to time and cost constraint
- It is a challenge to maximize the test coverage while minimizing the test suite
- It is a challenge to determine the frequency of regression tests.
Different Techniques of Regression Testing
Once the software is developed, software maintenance holds the key for enhancing, error correcting, and optimizing the features. However, these modifications can make the software behave differently. Hence, regression testing becomes immensely important to ensure the software is working properly.
Regression Testing can be broadly classified as:
- Regression Testing
- Retest All
- Regression Test Selection
- Prioritization of Test Cases
Here, the entire test present in an existing collection of test cases is re-executed. However, this involves huge time and resources and proves to be very expensive.
Regression Test Selection
In this method of regression testing, instead of selecting the entire test-suite for re-execution, a part of the test-suite is selected for execution. Here, the test cases are classified under reusable test cases and obsolete test cases. The re-usable test cases are used in the proceeding regression cycles, whereas obsolete test cases are not used in succeeding cycles.
Prioritization of Test Cases
Test cases are prioritized depending upon the criticality and impact of the functionalities on the business. Test cases that are high on a priority will help in reducing the regression test suite.
Regression Testing Test Case Selection
It has been noticed that out of all the bugs reported by customers, most of them were due to last minute changes in terms of bug fixes. Hence, selecting the test case for regression testing is really important.
By selecting the following test cases, you can perform effective regression testing.
- Test cases having frequent bugs
- Functionalities with more visibility
- Test cases that can verify more features
- Test cases that have gone more recent and frequent changes
- All Integration and complex test cases
- Test cases with boundary value
- Successful test cases sample
- Failure test cases sample
Different Regression Testing QA Tools
With frequent changes, regression testing price goes high. Here, any manual method of executing test cases will increase the effort and time. Automation of regression test cases is the best option to overcome any challenges associated with manual testing.
Some of the most popular tools that can be used for regression testing include the following.
- Selenium: This open source tool for automation can be used for performing regression testing on browsers.
- QTP (Quick Test Professional): It is also a popular tool to automate regression testing. This data driven tool uses VBScript language for automation.
- RFT (Rational Functional Tester): This is IBM’s Java based tool for automation. You can integrate this with Rational Test Manager to perform automated regression testing.
Regression Testing Framework and Configuration Management
While working in an agile environment, there is a continuous need for the modification of code. Here, configuration management becomes very important. The following things need to be observed while doing this.
- A configuration management tool should be used for the code that is being tested
- While the regression testing is going on, there must not be any change in the code.
- You must isolate the database from the regression testing. There must not be any changes in the database as well
360logica’s has the capability to provide extensive regression testing and QA services, which makes it the foremost offshore software testing company across globe. Companies are increasingly resorting to offshore testing services in a bid to outsource routine work and focus more on core business. 360logica covers all aspects of software product testing and QA consulting, and goes beyond it to focus on value addition to each and every product through the following.
- Affordable packages with improved quality of software product testing and QA services.
- Established infrastructure that is capable to match any type of outsourcing skills.
- Dedicated team of in-house experts with rich software product testing experience across multiple verticals.
- High standard of delivery, ensuring quality with the given budget and timeline.